United Way Southern Vancouver Island serves the communities of southern Vancouver Island and the southern Gulf Islands that are located in the traditional, unceded territories of the Coast Salish peoples including; the Lək̓ʷəŋən (Songhees) and Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) Nations here in the core area, the W̱SÁNEĆ Nations (W̱JOȽEȽP (Tsartlip), BOḰEĆEN (Pauquachin), SȾÁUTW̱(Tsawout), and W̱SIKEM (Tseycum)) and Pune’laxutth’ (Penelekut) out on the Saanich Peninsula and Gulf Islands, and to the west the Sc’ianew (Beecher Bay), T’Sou-ke, Pacheedaht, and MÁLEXEȽ (Malahat) Nations. We respectfully acknowledge that we live, work, and play within these traditional territories.
United Way Southern Vancouver Island 2021 Funding Call – NOW CLOSED
Eligible, registered non-profits in good standing are invited to apply for funding by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and including:
- The name of their agency
- The full name and email address of the individual responsible for inputting the grant information
- A program/project title
Access to UWSVI’s online granting portal will be provided via email on Wednesday, January 6th, 2021. The application will close at 4:00 pm on Monday, February 1st.
Late submissions will not be accepted.
Grant Opens: Wednesday, January 6, 2021
Grant Closes: Monday, February 1, 2021
UWSVI will be accepting applications for programs/projects that primarily focus on the immediate needs of vulnerable populations related to the impacts of COVID-19 in the following two areas of action:
Families in Need – COVID-19 has intensified inequities and amplified the challenges facing vulnerable and low-income families. Issues such as interruption in schooling due to lockdowns, increased pressure on parents and caregivers due to job loss and income reduction, and rising rates of family violence due to mental health stressors have had an unprecedented impact on families in our community.
This Area of Action focuses on programs and services that help families facing poverty or challenging life situations raise their children so that they can have the tools to better transition through all of life’s stages with the understanding that COVID-19 has contributed to an even greater intensity of need. Eligible projects include but are not limited to:
- School Readiness and Success: early years programming, after-school care and homework clubs, mentorship programs for children and youth
- Parenting Programs and Supports: skills development, respite care and supports for families of children with disabilities
- Family Stability: employment and skills training, financial literacy, food access and housing supports, family crisis and breakdown interventions (including sexual and/or domestic violence situations)
Mental Health & Addictions – COVID-19 has had a profound effect on individuals’ mental health. The uncertainties surrounding the unprecedented situation as well as increased isolation due to social distancing and lockdowns have led to exploding rates of anxiety, depression, substance abuse, and isolation.
This Area of Action focuses on programs and services that assist people and their families who are dealing with mental health and addictions challenges with the understanding that the stresses and challenges of COVID-19 have amplified the urgency of need in our community. Eligible projects include but are not limited to:
- Outreach Services and Peer Supports: outreach and liaison services between community organizations and vulnerable citizens, friendly check ins, services for families supporting a loved one with mental illness and/or an addictions
- Counselling including mental health, trauma and addictions
- Navigation and Connection to Services: virtual training, social gathering places and enhancement of tools and platforms to reduce isolation and maintain healthy lifestyles
Funding requests are anticipated to range from $15,000 to $50,000 per ask.
Note: Funding will be for one year beginning April 1, 2021 and ending March 31, 2022.
The UWSVI Community Impact Team will be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding your application beginning on January 6th. Please contact email@example.com and we will be happy to follow up with you to discuss your proposal or assist in any further queries.